BSP leader Deepak Bhardwaj's younger son has been arrested for conspiring his murder, according to police on Tuesday.
Bhardwaj, who was shot at point blank range at his south Delhi farmhouse in Rajokri during a morning walk on March 26, was estranged from his family.
Ramesh Kumari lives with their son Nitesh in Dwarka. The second son, Hitesh, lives in Vasant Kunj.
Though both the sons manage Bhardwaj’s various businesses, they have nothing in their name, which police suspect could have soured ties with their father.
Another key suspect who the police believe is a key conspirator in Bhardwaj's killing is still on the run.
Police said Pratibhanand was last seen in Bihar's Patna in casual clothes from where he is suspected to have slipped into Kolkata.
It is suspected that he was planning to go to Nepal to evade arrest.
"There were several meetings which took place between the person who planned the conspiracy and Pratibhanand to chalk-out every minor detail of the assassination. It seems they had initially wanted to kill him in Haridwar but failed."
At least four persons, including two sharpshooters, have been arrested and almost 300 people have been questioned so far.
The case so far:
* Bharadwaj, the richest candidate to have contested the 2009 Lok Sabha elections in New Delhi, was gunned down by two hired killers Sunil Mann alias Sonu and Purushottam Rana alias Monu on March 26 at his 35-acre farmhouse in south Delhi. The alleged killers are under arrest.
* Also under arrest is Rakesh alias Bhola, the owner of the car used by the killers after the murder, and Rakesh Malik, a commercial pilot who allegedly hired the shooters.
* Police had earlier questioned Nitesh, his elder brother Hitesh and their mother Ramesh Kumari in connection with Bhardwaj's murder.
* A manhunt is on for spiritual leader Swami Pratimanand with whom Bhardwaj is believed to be involved in a dispute over a 30 acre piece of land in Haryana's Bahadurgarh.
* The police believe that Rs. 3 crore were arranged for the hit at Bhardwaj's farmhouse and that two unsuccessful attempts to eliminate him had been made in January and early March this year.
© Copyright © 2013 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved.