iconimg Tuesday, September 01, 2015

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times
New Delhi, May 03, 2013
A robbery convict was killed in a violent clash that broke out between two rival groups at Tihar’s sub-jail one on Friday morning. Javed alias Bhura, 30, was assaulted with blunt weapons, including gardening sticks. He died at Deen Dayal Upadhyay (DDU) hospital hours later. In March this year, the prison’s allegedly lax security apparatus came under public scrutiny after it reported suicide by two inmates, including Ram Singh, the prime accused in the December 2012 Delhi gang rape case, who were lodged in cells without electronic surveillance.

The victim in the latest incident was lodged in Tihar for the past seven years after his conviction in a robbery case.

He was targeted during a clash that erupted around 6.30am at a barrack in sub-jail one after the mandatory head count by jail warders.

Blunt weapons including sticks used to provide support to saplings by gardeners and bricks were allegedly used freely by members of rival groups.

Prison guards and armed security personnel broke up the fight within minutes but nine inmates, including Javed, were already injured in the clash.

They were first rushed to the jail’s dispensary for preliminary medical examination then rushed to the hospital between 7.15am and 9.15am, said a source.

“Javed was in a critical state, owing to blunt trauma injuries and fractures, and died around 3.45pm at DDU hospital’s intensive care unit ward. He was hit with a wooden stick used in gardening among other tools,” said a source.

Tihar’s Director General (prisons) Vimla Mehra told HT, “It was a simple clash between two groups and the reasons are still being ascertained. There was no communal angle linked to the clash. The security guards had intervened soon after the clash broke out.”

“A judicial inquiry has been ordered to establish all the facts related to the clash including the trigger,” Tihar’s spokesperson Sunil Gupta said.

“Seven other inmates, including Mahesh and Ravi, who were injured were treated at the hospital and are back in the prison, while the ninth, Prithvi, is still under medical observation at the hospital,” he said.

According to a hospital source, most injured inmates had fractures and cuts. Javed’s autopsy report is awaited. 

Though Tihar officials were tight-lipped, a prison source said Javed had led a group of bullies who attacked targets with “blades”.