FIFA’s anti-racism task force will send three proposals to football’s world governing body in a move aimed at stamping out the growing negative trend in the game.
The much talked about task force held its first meeting in Zurich on Monday, with discussions focussing on sending a strong
zero tolerance message on racism to offenders, reports CMC.
The task force has proposed having an official at the stadium to identify acts of discrimination so that referees would not face the pressure of this task.
This official would gather evidence in order for FIFA’s disciplinary committees to take decisions.
Secondly, the task force has proposed applying sanctions in two stages - the first or a minor offence, such as a warning or a fine, or the playing of a match behind closed doors.
Stronger sanctions for repeat offenders or very serious incidents would include point deductions, expulsion from a competition, or relegation.
The final proposal will see associations and clubs being given responsibility for the actions of their players, officials and supporters.
Clubs and associations would be also required to submit an action plan for fighting any form of racism among their supporters.
“We have a special responsibility in the way we can impact football and society,” said Jeffrey Webb, president of CONCACAF who chaired the task force.
“One of the opportunities this task force has is its vast reach throughout FIFA’s 209 member associations where we can implement the resolutions in every region and every country where football is played, bringing universality to the mechanisms that combat racism and discrimination,” the official said.
The task force’s proposals will be presented to the FIFA Congress in Mauritius at the month-end.
FIFA set up the committee earlier this year following several incidents of racism in Europe.
© Copyright © 2013 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved.