iconimg Tuesday, September 01, 2015

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times
New Delhi, May 14, 2013
A Delhi Police official on Tuesday told a special court that the bus in which the 23-year-old physiotherapist was gangraped on December 16 was identified by the victim’s friend. The main accused Ram Singh was arrested from the vehicle itself, he said.
Deposing as a prosecution witness, a sub-inspector told Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna the victim’s male friend had identified the bus in the CCTV footage of a hotel.

He said that on the basis of a tip-off received by the case’s investigating officer (IO), the police spotted the bus parked at RK Puram in South Delhi.

“When we reached Ravi Dass Camp, we saw the bus parked near a gurdwara. It was a white-coloured bus on which ‘Yadav’ was written on one side. This Yadav was similar to the word written on the bus seen in the CCTV footage,” he said.

“When we reached the bus, one person got down from it and after seeing us he started running. I chased that person and apprehended him... Upon inquiry that person disclosed his name as Ram Singh,” he said.

During the recording of statements, which will continue on Wednesday, the police official told the court that the description of the bus matched with what the victim’s friend had given them.

“The seats of the bus were wet. Some blood was visible on the corner of the wall touching the celling as well as on the floor of the bus,” he said, adding that on being asked about it, the accused did not respond satisfactorily.

“Ram Singh was further interrogated by the IO and he admitted to the incident. The accused was then arrested. On searching him and as per his statement, two iron rods, with which the victim and her male friend were brutally assaulted, were recovered,” the official said.

He deposed in court that Ram Singh himself had led them to the place where he had burnt the clothes and other things.

Plea for bail dismissed

New Delhi: The plea of Vinay Sharma, one of the gang rape accused, seeking interim bail for his medical treatment was dismissed by a special court. The court  said he was already being treated in a government hospital.