Coming down heavily on illegal cell phone towers, the East Delhi Corporation has decided to start the process of sealing them.
The issue of illegal cell phone towers was raised in the standing committee meeting of the corporation on Thursday.
A number of councillors have
alleged that the civic agency has not taken action against illegal cell phone towers.
Despite a ban imposed by the Supreme Court on installation of mobile towers on school and hospital buildings, such structures continue to operate from at least seven school buildings and four nursing homes in east Delhi areas.
These cell phone towers were identified by the civic agency in a survey conducted in November last year.
The corporation conducted a survey and found 1,470 mobile towers operating in east Delhi; 588 of them were illegal.
According to officials, 26 such cell phone towers were sealed for flouting norms later.
While the civic body failed to seal over 95 per cent of the illegal towers, the municipal councillors alleged that more mobile phone towers are coming up in their area and becoming a major health hazard for the residents.
"Two towers are coming up in my area, one in Jagdamba Colony and the other in Bhagriti Vihar for which no permission has been taken from the authorities. Residents in the area are raising concerns over the matter," said Sanjay Kaushik, deputy chairman of the standing committee, East Delhi Corporation.
Former chairman of the standing committee Mehak Singh accused corporation officials of failing to take strict action despite the fact that the survey was carried out quite a few months back.
Commissioner of East Delhi Corporation S Kumarswamy said all such towers would be sealed in a time-bound manner.
"Recently, we sealed three towers. We are making an action plan and are likely to launch a special drive from next week. We are hoping to seal all the illegal towers within three months," Kumarswamy added.
© Copyright © 2013 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved.