Rescue operators from Maharashtra, who are working overtime in flood-ravaged Uttarakhand, have a major cause of worry because 232 people from the state are still missing.
Meanwhile, 500 pilgrims from various parts of the state who were stranded in Uttarakhand reached the city on train
from Dehradun on Tuesday morning.
Ever since the tragedy rattled the hilly state, authorities concerned or their families have not been able contact the missing 232 pilgrims.
“According to information gathered from district collectors, we have no clue, as yet, about 232 persons,” said relief minister Patangrao Kadam.
Despite a huge number of missing persons, the administration has confirmed just three deaths.
According to relief secretary Milind Mhaiskar, the Aurangabad revenue division has reported 113 persons missing till date.
“Aurangabad is followed by the Nagpur division with 85 pilgrims missing. Pune division has 28 missing persons, Amaravati division four and Nasik division two” said the Mhaiskar.
State disaster management secretary IS Kundan said that the administration had collected information from major tourist agencies in the state.
“Pune’s Ambika Agency and Shiv Gauri Agency reported 33 and 23 persons missing, respectively,” she said. According to her, Nagpur’s Pratap Travels has five pilgrims missing.
The train that reached the city on Tuesday morning had earlier carrying 1,500 pilgrims but many of them alighted on stations on the way to the city.
Sharat Chandrayan, chief public relations officer of Western railway, said that WR was also going to attach two additional coaches to Deharadun express.
© Copyright © 2013 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved.