Considering the potential of the populist scheme in the forthcoming Assembly elections in the city slated for November, Dikshit had last week announced that Delhi would be the first state in the country to launch the scheme.
“Our government is gearing up to launch the Food Security Scheme on August 20. We are working hard to ensure successful implementation of the scheme to ensure a hunger-free Delhi,” Dikshit said while addressing a workshop of resident welfare associations.
The chief minister said 5.10 lakh families in the city would be provided food grains under the scheme in the first phase. The entitled food grains will be given to the beneficiary families through their seniormost female members, with the aim of empowering the fairer sex.
“We will provide food grains to 5.10 lakh families in the first phase, which will mean us covering around 32 lakh people under the scheme. The scheme would go a long way in overcoming malnutrition and poverty,” Dikshit said.
“We will give the entitlement to the seniormost female member of the beneficiary families in order to further empower women in the Capital,” the chief minister said.
Dikshit has already ordered all agencies concerned and departments to complete ground work for rolling out the scheme. She has also appointed a committee under the chairmanship of food and supply minister Haroon Yusuf to ovesee the preparations.
The city government would side-by-side include more families under the ambit of Food Security. She further stated that the government would distribute food security cards during the formal launch function.