iconimg Thursday, September 03, 2015

Toufiq Rashid, Hindustan Times
Srinagar , July 15, 2013
The Jammu and Kashmir Police are sending a senior officer to Mumbai to investigate the death of a youth under mysterious circumstances. In a statement on Monday, police said an ASP along with another officer will be deputed to Mumbai to "verify first-hand account regarding the death of one Pervez Ahmad Teli, son of Mohammad Sultan Teli, a resident of Kalamdan Pora, Nawabazar".The mysterious death of a local youth in Mumbai sparked violent protests in parts of Srinagar on Sunday.

Trouble started when the body of Parvez Ahmad Teli, a resident of Srinagar's Kalamdan Pora, reached his native colony in the morning.Hundreds of locals took to the streets and hurled stones at the security forces. Police resorted to tear-smoke shelling to bring the situation under control.

A police spokesman said the J&K police have received a communication from their Mumbai counterparts, which states that Pervez was found in an injured condition on a railway track near Elphinstone station. "He was admitted to KEM hospital where he was declared dead on July 9 evening. Accidental death report no. 88/2013 is registered at Mumbai Central railway police station," said the communication from the Mumbai police.

"DCP Pravin Patil has personally verified witness' statements and has reported that a missing report was registered on July 8 evening at Dahisar police station and during the inquiry it has revealed that on July 6 the deceased has sought help and was helped by local Borivali Muslim boys.

Dr Rajesh Wandara who treated him had asked him to go to Bhagavati Hospital for treatment, but Pervez had declined. He had orally narrated that someone had assaulted and robbed him but he wanted to go to his cousins. Pervez boarded a Churchgate-bound local train that night," the J&K police quoted their Mumbai counterparts as saying.The matter, according to witnesses, was not reported at any police station.

The team deputed by the Kashmir police shall get in touch with police and other witnesses concerned and will cull out the factual details and circumstances leading to the death of Pervez Ahmad Teli.

Teli, a businessman, had reportedly gone missing on July 7 near Churchgate in Mumbai. The relatives claim he went out to buy something in the night and did not return.