iconimg Tuesday, September 01, 2015

Karn Pratap Singh, Hindustan Times
New Delhi, August 01, 2013
A hurt ego may have led to the bloody suicide and murder attempt on the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) campus on Wednesday as the police, after preliminary investigations, said that the attacker was an "obsessed lover".

"…She has hurt my ego…but I don't want to reveal the reasons for which my ego has been hurt...," wrote Aakash -- the 23-year-old student who attacked his classmate Roshini, 20, with an axe -- in his suicide note in Hindi.

Both Aakash and Roshini studied Korean at Jawaharlal Nehru University's School of Languages. Both were hostel scholars. While Aakash lived at Jhelum hostel, Roshini stayed at the Shipra hostel on the university campus.

The police recovered the four-page suicide note from Aakash's backpack, in which he apparently hid a knife, an axe, a country-made gun and a bottle of sulphas pills.

The police said the motive behind Aakash's murderous rage was yet to be ascertained but the suicide note and preliminary investigation suggested that he was upset over Roshini's 'indifferent behaviour' towards him for the past few weeks.

A senior police officer said the suicide note says how the two became friends and what led to problems in their 'relationship'.

Sources said Roshini had been reportedly avoiding Aakash, who did not approve of her talking to other male students.

A friend and a classmate of Aakash, who did not wish to be named, said Aakash had written a letter to Roshini's father, proposing marriage. But he refused and this might have led Aakash to take the extreme step.

"Roshini's father had asked him to keep off from his daughter," he said. While being taken to the hospital, Aakash had told his friend to secure his mobile phone as it contained important messages that were exchanged between him and Rohini, said the friend.

Abhishek Yadav, an eyewitness, said: "Aakash and Roshini were sitting in the classroom during the break. They had an argument over some personal issue. Soon, Aakash pulled out a country-made pistol, an axe, a knife and a bottle of sulfas tablets from his backpack."

"We tried to snatch his weapons but he fired a couple of shots at us. The pistol malfunctioned and no one was hurt. We ran out of the room while Roshini remained there. Aakash attacked her on the head with the axe. He then swallowed the tablets and slit his throat with the same axe," added Yadav.

"Akash was taken to All India Institute of Medical Sciences trauma centre where he died after a few hours. Roshini was taken to Safdarjung Hospital, where she is still in a critical condition," a senior police officer said.