* A submariner may often have to dig into a loaf of bread refrigerated for over several weeks.
* Submariners don’t mind sharing the toilet with 40 men.
* It is not rare for them to wear the same soiled vest and lowers for as many as four days.
* The navy assigns more than one crewmember to a bed to reduce berthing space (called hot bunking in naval parlance).
* Only the skipper has the ultimate privilege of having a separate cabin.
* But even for the skipper, a mug of water for morning ablutions is considered luxury.
* The ones who are unlikely to endure the rigours of submarine service get weeded out during probation.