A day before the Juvenile Justice Board delivers its verdict on the alleged involvement the minor accused in the December 16 gang-rape case, the girl’s family said they expected very little from the judgement.
“Even if he is convicted, he will be a free man out in a little over two
years, while we would still be mourning the death of our daughter,” said the father of the 23-year-old student who was raped in a moving bus last year.
The family of Delhi’s braveheart would be at the Juvenile Justice Board on Saturday but with “only little” to look forward to. The board is likely to announce on Saturday the first verdict in the gang rape and murder of the paramedical student.
“What can we do? We made every possible effort (for the juvenile to be charged as adult). Nothing happened. But we will go to the court,” said his elder son.
“Our younger son doesn’t want to go. But the three of us — I, my wife and our older son — would definitely go. We will take an auto-rickshaw; an acquaintance has also offered his car,” said the father, who resumed his duty as a loader at the Delhi airport only a month ago.
The court is hearing the trial against a 17-year-old who, along with and five others, raped the 23-year-old student and fatally assaulted her on December 16 last year. The incident sparked violent protests on the streets of Delhi and led to national outrage.
“Nothing is bigger than the courts. Hum lakh sar patak lein, kuchh nahi ho sakta,” he said. The family shifted to a new house in Dwarka, offered by the government, only two weeks ago.
“We were broken when in January the local court declared him a juvenile. We would never be able to accept this,” said the father.
“Why cannot the accused be subjected to bone test? For us, he is, like the five other accused, an adult. All of them must be hanged,” he said.
The juvenile faces charges of gang rape, murder, kidnapping, unnatural offences, attempt to murder, dacoity, destruction of evidence and conspiracy.
The other five accused are being tried separately in a fast track court. Ram Singh, the main accused in the case, committed suicide in Tihar in March.
© Copyright © 2013 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved.