The district administration had earlier granted permission for the rally, but went back on its decision amid growing politicisation of the Muzaffarnagar violence, which has claimed 43 lives so far.
Confirming the move, sub-divisional magistrate of Agra Sadar, Rajesh Kumar Singh said there were alerts from the police and local intelligence unit warning against the rally.
Local Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leaders, however, seemed unfazed by the decision and said the event would be organised as planned. A few party leaders also met the district magistrate late on Thursday to register protest over the cancellation of the rally.
“The DM expressed his inability to allow the rally, but we will go ahead with our plans,” BJP leader Raj Kumar Chahar said.