Army jawans began pulling out of riot-hit Muzaffarnagar on Tuesday, where the situation is limping back to normalcy.
Ten columns of the army, consisting of nearly 800 soldiers, were on duty in the affected areas since the outbreak of communal violence in Muzaffarnagar-Shamli
districts on September 7.
But the deployment of central para-military forces (CPMF) will continue in the district, said additional director general (law and order) Arun Kumar.
"We have summoned extra companies of the RAF, CRPF and the RRF in place of army personnel," said district magistrate (DM) Kaushal Raj Sharma.
More than 40 people were killed and a large number were injured in the violence, forcing the authorities to deploy the military for the first time in over two decades to quell communal clashes.
The Army played a vital role in handling the situation in Phugana, Bhorankalan and Shahpur.
Nearly 50,000 people are staying in relief camps.
The DM said the administration was taking the task of rehabilitation of the displaced persons on priority and some of the migrated families had been sent back to their native places under tight security.
Union minister of state for external affairs E Ahamed reviewed the progress of relief work as well as the law and order situation.
Meanwhile, the Uttar Pradesh Congress committee has demanded that the state government come out with a white paper on the number of persons killed and the damaged caused due to the violence.
On Wednesday, the Shahi Imam of Delhi’s Jama Masjid, Maulana Ahmed Bukhari, is set to visit the violence-hit areas.
© Copyright © 2013 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved.