iconimg Friday, March 27, 2015

Press Trust Of India
Jammu, September 26, 2013
The militants were merciless from the word go, say the two drivers ordered at gun point by the three Jammu attack terrorists to ferry them at dawn today after the men sneaked from across the Indo-Pak border.

The journey of the three terrorists aged between 16 and 19 to carry out the audacious twin terror attacks in Jammu region began from Haria Chuk nursery in village Jhandi where Roshanlal, who runs an auto rickshaw load carrier to transport vegetables, had his first brush with them.

Details of the movement of the three heavily armed terrorists were given by a police official after initial investigations.

Roshanlal told the police that three people suddenly emerged from a graveyard adjacent to the nursery and pointed a weapon to his head directing him that they be taken to an Army unit at Samba.

 The three terrorists spoke in chaste Urdu and their shoes had fresh mud stuck to it indicating that they had crossed over barely an hour before they met the driver.

Unaware what the intentions of the three men were, Roshanlal was reluctant to drive them to the Army camp for which he was beaten up.

Then suddenly one of them, who seemed to be a team leader, asked him to take them towards the national highway.

After travelling through lanes and by-lanes of the area, the three, one of whom was sitting with Roshanlal in the front, reached Hiranagar national highway.

After taking a round of the area, the terrorists spotted two policemen and enquired from Roshanlal whether there was a police station nearby.

The hapless driver ferried them to the police station but he quickly jumped out of the moving vehicle when the terrorists began loading magazines on their assault rifles.

The terrorists shot and injured Roshanlal after which they entered the police station in Hiranagar in Kathua district after killing the duty sentry Constable Shiv Kumar.

They entered the barracks where assistant sub-inspector Rattan Singh, constable Pradeep Jamwal and Rattan Chand and SPO Mukesh Kumar were present.

As soon as cops saw the terrorists, they jumped out of the barracks but the assailants kept on shooting. This resulted in the death of three of them.

The terrorists then went to the station's rooftop where they shot at another ASI Gaggu Ram and left after they presumed he was dead.

The three later came down and spotted a truck which had been seized by the police previous day.

The terrorists asked the cleaner of the truck Feroz Ahmed to drive them to the Army camp who refused prompting the trio to fire and killing him on spot. They then asked the driver Mohammed Arif to ferry them to the Army camp, who did it for the fear of his life.

Before leaving the police station, the terrorists killed one Suresh Kumar, who runs a PCO adjacent to the police station.

As they reached the Maheswar Army camp in Samba, 18 kms from the police station, the terrorists disembarked from the truck and hurled grenades at the army camp killing the sentry on the spot. A cavalry armoured unit is stationed at the camp.

The truck driver then returned to police station and informed the authorities about the daring attack.

The terrorists continued indiscriminate firing and managed to slip into the Officer's mess which was targeted leaving many officers and jawans injured.

The injured army personnel were airlifted to Satwari base hospital where Lt Col Bikramjeet Singh and Sepoy K Reddy were declared brought dead. Two sepoys who were injured in the attack later succumbed to their injuries.

Col Uthaiah, the commanding officer(CO) of the unit, was also injured and he has been admitted to the ICU in a hospital in Pathankot, an army official said in Delhi.