iconimg Saturday, August 29, 2015

Toufiq Rashid, Hindustan Times
Srinagar, September 28, 2013
Police in Jammu and Kashmir are investigating an incident of firing near an army convoy in Srinagar on Saturday. While initial reports suggested that militants opened fire on an army convoy in the outskirts of the city , leaving a civilian injured,  army later clarified there was `no attack'' on them.

``There was no attack. Our officers were traveling in the area around that time but there was absolutely no attack on the army,'' Army spokesman Naresh Vij told Hindustan Times initially. Vij However later said that it was an `army patrol' which was attacked.

``Two mororcycle riders fired on our street patrol however there were no casualities . Our jawans also retailated and one civilian was injured while entering a shop. It however was not a gun shot,'' Vij said.

Eyewitnesses said the attack happened in Srinagar's upmarket area between Sanat Nagar and Hyderpora bypass road on Saturday afternoon.
It was not immediately clear whether the shots fired Saturday in Srinagar came from two men riding a motorcycle past the convoy, or from patrolling street soldiers who suspected the men were militants.

According to sources the entire area has been cordoned off and a hunt has been launched to nab the those guilty of the firing, the sources said.

A police spokesman however said they are `investigationg the matter'. ``Who fired or whether anybdy actually heard gun shots is being investigated,'' said the spokesman. Meanwhile, a lesser-known group Shohada Brigade claimed responsibility for the firing, saying two of its activists were involved.

"Our two men carried out the attack on Army at Sanat Nagar in Srinagar," a person introducing himself as Shamsul Haq, spokesman of the group, told a national news agency.

The group had also claimed responsibility for the twin terror strikes on a police station and an army camp in Jammu on Thursday which left ten persons including a Lt Col of Army dead. The group was also one of the three militant organisation to threaten the Zubin Mehta show.

On Thursday, terrorists had attacked a police station and an army camp in Kathua and Samba districts, respectively. Ten people, including police officials and army men, were killed before the three terrorists were shot dead in an encounter with security forces at the army camp in Samba.