Diwali celebrations on Sunday night turned sour for many families in the tricity. As many as 107 cases of injuries inflicted by firecrackers were reported till Monday afternoon in the three government hospitals of Chandigarh -Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER),
Government Medical College and Hospital, Sector 32 (GMCH-32), and Government Multi-Specialty Hospital, Sector 16 (GMSH-16). The number came down from last Diwali, when 137 such cases were reported at the city's government hospitals.
The data analysis reveals that, like past the last year, most cases of Diwali injury were reported at GMSH-16, with 52. These included 34 of burn injuries and 18 of eye injuries. "All these cases were given the required treatment as outdoor patients and were discharged," said medical superintendent of the hospital, Dr Rajiv Wadhera.
At the PGIMER, 49 patients came with Diwali-related injuries, 19 of them from the tricity. At the institute's Advanced Eye Centre, till 3 pm on Monday, 45 cases were reported, 22 of them children. Shivani, 9, from Sector 38 had her eyes injured severely while lighting an 'anaar'. A 15-year-old boy, Harnam Singh of Sector 20, got similar injuries while lighting a 'rocket'.
"Timely treatment at the PGIMER saved his eye," said Hira Singh, Harnam's father. According to PGIMER spokesperson Manju Wadwalkar, 18 of the patients had eye rupture and required surgical repair. At GMCH-32, 26 cases of Diwali-related injuries were reported, 16 of them eye injuries and the rest burn cases.
In SAS Nagar, 30 cases of Diwali-night injuries were reported at government hospitals.
In Panchkula, unreliable crackers and careless attitudes combined, leading to 38 cases of burns reaching General Hospital in Sector 6, despite an overall less use of crackers. Of the cases, 14 had children (aged 6-13) as victims, while seven people received eye injuries.
Sunny, 13, resident of Sector 15, Panchkula, were referred to GMCH-32, Chandigarh, with a serious eye injury. A faulty cracker had led to the injury as the 'bomb' exploded in his hand after initially appearing to have fizzled out. Rohit, 10, of Haripur village, got injured in a similar manner on his hand.
Ramu, 50, resident of Saketri, was sitting outside his house when some children were exploding crackers close to him. He said he had gone to tell them to stop, when he accidentally fell on exploding crackers and got burns on his chest, stomach, arms and shoulders. He was referred to the PGIMER, Chandigarh.
A Peer Muchalla couple Parmod Kumar, 40, and Uma, 35, received burns due to an LPG cylinder exploding in their house. They had accidentally left open the LPG supply and went to offer prayers in another room. After the prayers, when Parmod went to light a lamp in the kitchen, the explosion took place.
Chandigarh Panchkula SAS Nagar
This time 107 38 30
2012 137 41 32
2011 92 51 29
© Copyright © 2013 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved.