iconimg Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Press Trust Of India
Chandigarh, November 14, 2013
The Haryana Roadways Employees Union tonight announced its decision to withdraw their two-day strike with immediate effect after having talks with the state government earlier in the day. Commuters, however, faced inconvenience for the second day as the buses remained off roads on many routes during major part of the day.

The employees had gone on strike yesterday to protest a new transport policy under which the government is mulling giving permits to ply 3,519 private buses.

The Haryana Roadways Employees Union announced its decision to withdraw the strike with immediate effect after having talks with Transport Minister Aftab Ahmed here, an official spokesman said.

Those present in the meeting included Principal Secretary, Transport Department R R Jowel and the roadways union leaders.

Ahmed later told reporters that a joint committee comprising a Group of Ministers and leaders of the employees union would be constituted to consider the demands of the employees.

He said the committee would redress the grievances of the employees in next three months.

Earlier, the Haryana Roadways bus services remained affected on most routes throughout the state due to the strike, even though buses belonging to private operators and of other state Roadways, including Punjab and Himachal Pradesh, plied normally throughout Haryana.

However, in view of the inconvenience caused to the public, the government had made alternative arrangements and issued temporary permits to private bus and maxi cab operators.

The strike call had been given by two major employees unions - Sarv Karamchari Sangh and Haryana Karamchari Mahasangh.