iconimg Monday, May 04, 2015

Mallica Joshi, Hindustan Times
New Delhi, November 28, 2013
Parents of children who are about to enter school have double the worry this year — nursery admissions in the city are fiercely fought and the model code of conduct has added to their anxiety. With the Capital set to go to the polls on December 4, the government, bound by the conduct code, can’t release admission guidelines or give information till the voting day.

“We are getting close to 30 queries every day regarding the admission schedule, especially the dates when forms will be available,” said Sumit Vohra, founder, admissionsnursery.com, a forum for parents.

Elections have occupied all the news space and information is hard to come by. The Delhi high court is hearing a petition that has challenged the prevalent point system used by schools for admissions as discriminatory.

The high court has asked the Delhi’s lieutenant governor to submit a report on the points system and regulations. The LG is expected to submit report by mid-December. 

“Since a case is going on in the high court, people are worried that the criteria will change this year,” Vohra said. “The uncertainty is making people nervous.”

Traffic on other websites has also gone up. “A number of people have been asking questions about forms for the students from economically weaker section,” said Nitin Pandey, founder, parentune.com. Schools are required to reserve 25% seats for students whose parents’ annual income is below `1 lakh. 

Another common query is the age criteria. “Parents who are missing the 3-year cut-off by a few days are the most worried,” Pandey said.

Last year, the admission guidelines were declared in the third week of December. Forms went on sale from January 1, 2013.