iconimg Tuesday, September 01, 2015

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times
New Delhi, January 16, 2014
After keeping quiet for two days, Union home minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Thursday refused to join issue with the former home secretary RK Singh who alleged that Shinde shielded a businessman close to Dawood Ibrahim from questioning by the Delhi police. Singh also alleged that Shinde’s office interfered in the transfers and postings of the Delhi police.

In his first comments after the controversy, Shinde said “Singh is now a political man. His allegations are political in nature. He is now with BJP. I do not see him as a former home secretary but as a BJP man. I will not react to his allegations.”

After retirement Singh has joined the BJP and is expected to contest Lok Sabha elections from Bihar.

Shinde said his Congress party and ministerial colleagues had already reacted to Singh’s allegations. Party general secretary Digvijaya Singh claimed that the former home secretary had tried to get a post-retirement position from UPA.

These allegations  pertain to, now retired, Neeraj Kumar’s tenure as police commissioner but Kumar has refused to comment on the slugfest between the two.

But on a day when Shinde chose to ignore Singh’s allegations, it transpired that his ministry has withdrawn nearly a dozen government employees, mostly drawn from different paramilitary forces, who were retained by Singh after his retirement. These employees have been asked to report to their respective organisations immediately, sources said.

But the withdrawal of staff also raised question as to why Singh was allowed to retain them even after his retirement. Home ministry sources clarified that Singh’s security detail from the Delhi police has remained untouched.

Singh could not be reached for his comments.