Two weeks after a Malaysian airliner carrying 239 people vanished, international teams stepped up their search deep in the southern Indian Ocean on Saturday, as a Malaysian minister expressed fear a possible sighting of debris may be another false lead.
Meanwhile, India has formally
told Malaysian investigators it has found no evidence that MH370 flew through its airspace, several people familiar with the matter said.
Searches by more than two dozen countries have turned up little but frustration and fresh questions about Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 which disappeared on a scheduled flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8.
Read: Australia widens MH370 search
A US Navy P8 Poseidon aircraft takes off from a runway at Perth International Airport, en route to the Indian Ocean. An international search force resumed the hunt for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370. (Reuters photo)
Six aircraft and two merchant ships were scouring an area of the remote southern Indian Ocean where suspected debris was spotted by satellite six days ago.
There were no reports of any wreckage being found. Australia, which announced the satellite image and is coordinating the rescue, has cautioned the objects might be a lost shipping container or other debris and may have since sunk. "Even though this is not a definite lead, it is probably more solid than any other lead around the world and that is why so much effort and interest is being put into this search," Deputy Prime Minister Warren Truss told reporters.
According to several people familiar with the matter, India has told Malaysian investigators that it had found no evidence the plane flew through its airspace, making the satellite debris lead more solid.
Read: Malaysia jet saga highlights doubts over air traffic radar
AMSA handout of Object 1 possibly connected with MH370 search
AMSA handout of Object 2 possibly connected with MH370 search
It was the first formal notification that India had come up empty-handed after checking its radar records, the sources said. China, Japan and India were sending more planes and Australian and Chinese navy vessels were also steaming towards the southern zone, more than 2,000 km (1,200 miles) southwest of Perth.
Weather conditions were good, with 10 km (6 miles) of visibility, according to officials - a crucial boost for a search that is relying more on human eyes than the technical wizardry of the most advanced aircraft in the world.
India finds no evidence
The first formal notification that India has come up empty-handed after checking its radar records leaves the two-week-old investigation dependent on increasingly fragile hopes that an object spotted in the southern Indian Ocean comes from Flight MH370.
Malaysian Defence Minister Hishammuddin Hussein said earlier that after two days without confirmation, his "biggest concern" was that the search for the missing plane would have to focus once again on two corridors stretching north and south.
Any radar data from India could have proved crucial in identifying whether the aircraft went north or south from its last known position after disappearing on March 8, but the issue is seen as sensitive because of the presence of military radar.
Sources familiar with the situation in both countries said India had formally told Malaysia that it had checked for any sign of the jet having touched its airspace and found nothing of significance, in response to Kuala Lumpur's diplomatic request.
"I AM NOT GOING TO GIVE UP"
Malaysian Defence Minister Hishammuddin Hussein said on Friday searchers realised that time was running out. The "black box" voice and data recorder only transmits an electronic signal for about 30 days before its battery dies.
"I am still quite concerned that - it's been two days - and yet the searches have not come out with any debris," he said on Saturday about the operation in the southern Indian Ocean. "I am not going to give up... My biggest concern is that we are not able to identify the debris, having to go back to the two corridors."
Aircraft and ships have also renewed the search in the Andaman Sea between India and Thailand, going over areas in the northern corridor that have already been exhaustively swept to find some clue to unlock one of the biggest mysteries in modern aviation.
The Pentagon said it was considering a request from Malaysia for sonar equipment. The P-8 and P-3 spy planes, which the United States is already deploying in the search, also carry "sonobuoys" that are dropped into the sea and use sonar signals to search the waters below.
Investigators suspect the Boeing 777 was deliberately diverted thousands of miles from its scheduled path. They say they are focusing on hijacking or sabotage but have not ruled out technical problems.
Britain's Daily Telegraph published what it said was a transcript of communications between the cockpit of Flight MH370 and Malaysian air control, but few if any new clues emerged.
The search itself has strained ties between China and Malaysia, with Beijing repeatedly leaning on the Southeast Asian nation to step up its hunt and do a better job at looking after the relatives of the Chinese passengers.
For families of the passengers, the process has proved to be an emotionally wrenching battle to elicit information.
In a statement on Saturday, relatives in Beijing lambasted a Malaysian delegation for "concealing the truth" and "making fools" out of the families after they said they left a meeting without answering all their questions.
"This kind of conduct neglects the lives of all the passengers, shows contempt for all their families, and even more, tramples on the dignity of Chinese people and the Chinese government," they said.
Some experts have argued that the reluctance to share sensitive radar data and capabilities in a region fraught with suspicion amid China's military rise and territorial disputes may have hampered the search.
Read: Satellites searching for missing plane have limits
China's request for entering Indian waters turned down
Hunt for flight MH370: Norwegian ship reaches spot to check debris
This picture shows prayers and messages written by relatives to the missing passengers in the meeting room of Lido hotel where relatives are staying in Beijing. (AFP photo)
© Copyright © 2013 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved.