Banerjee narrowly escaped the fire on Thursday evening in her hotel room in Malda district. The Trinamool supremo was in her room in the private hotel in Malda town after campaigning when the AC caught fire, throwing out thick smoke and soot.
Read: Trinamool alleges devious plans behind AC glitch in Mamata room
Sports minister Madan Mitra said "poisonous fumes were released in the CM's room in pursuance of a conspiracy", while party general secretary Mukul Roy shot off a letter to the Election Commission crying foul over the incident.
In his letter to chief election commissioner VS Sampath and state chief electoral officer Sunil Kumar Gupta, Roy alleged that a "deep, devoius conspiracy" could not be ruled out.
"Safety norms and procedures were completely disregarded by the administrative machinery under your control. This incident could have had fatal, disastrous consequences with repercussions in West Bengal and the entire nation. One cannot rule out a deep, devious conspiracy behind the incident," he said in his letter.
Police have initiated a probe into the matter and a forensic team examined the room and collected samples.
Read: Congress demands CBI probe into Mamata's hotel room fire