iconimg Saturday, May 23, 2015

Press Trust Of India
Singur, August 05, 2008
Dismissing reports that many workers had left Tata Motors in Singur due to alleged intimidation by the Trinamool Congress-backed Save Farmland Committee, the West Bengal government on Tuesday categorically said that at no point of time did the Tatas think of leaving Singur. "At no point of time did the Tatas think of leaving Singur," Home Secretary Ashok Mohan Chakraborty told reporters in Singur after a meeting to review the security environment at the site.

The Home Secretary said the reports of mass exodus of construction workers from the plant site was simply untrue. He said the meeting was held in view of some disturbances in the last few days.

"There is no truth in the statements that many workers had already left the plant site and that something very serious in magnitude had taken place," Chakraborty said.

He said that the situation was normal at the Tata Motors small car plant site and work was in progress.

The Home Secretary, accompanied by DGP A B Vohra and IGP, Law and Order, Raj Kanojia visited the area and reviewed the security environment with Tata Motors local manager Dilip Sengupta and WBIDC representative Apurba Banerjee.

Chakraborty said he would hold another review meeting in Singur next week regarding security environment at the site.

"I would like to inform you that no abnormal situation is prevailing in Singur and work is progressing well," he reiterated.

However, sources said that the meeting had reviewed the situation in view of largescale exodus of construction workers.