But BSES, which supplies power to the airport, claimed this was no ordinary disruption. “A monkey got trapped inside the transformer that supplies power to the Terminal II. We don’t understand how it got there,” a BSES spokesman said.
According to the discom, a 66 KV grid supplies power to the airport through a substation in Palam. The monkey entered the premises and got entangled in one of the two transformers there, BSES said.
“The night staff at the substation heard sound of sparks flying. They rushed to the spot and saw the monkey had caught fire,” the spokesman said.
The transformer was shut down to save the monkey, which by then had suffered 60 per cent burns, a doctor later told the officials.
“Our officials poured a lot of water on the monkey. Then after a while it regained consciousness. The supply to the airport was restored soon after.”
The airport has had trouble with stray monkeys entering the terminals in the past. It has also had problems with foxes and snakes in the past.