iconimg Wednesday, September 02, 2015

Peerzada Ashiq, Hindustan Times
Srinagar, June 11, 2012
Hacking of a website, e-protests on social networking sites, shutdown and a street protest in Kashmir marked the commemoration of the killing of schoolboy Tufail Mattoo (17), which turned into a flashpoint to trigger five-month long agitation in Kashmir in 2010.
Unknown group of hackers ZHC and Cyber Sangbaaz (stone-throwers) Force hacked the official website amarnathyatriniyas meant for the pilgrims of the Amarnath yatra. The site provides necessary information on weather, registration and other details to pilgrims planning to embark on the pilgrimage.

“More than 300 teenager students were killed from 2008 to 2010. This is a policy of slow genocide. The culprits involved were neither booked nor brought to the court of law,” says the message posted on the hacked website.

An online campaign to register the protests over the events of 2010 was run by Aalaw members on social networking sites like Twitter. The Twitter handle is on the state police’s radar round the clock and was blocked several times by the cyber cell of the police in the past. The police, which arrested many claiming to be Aalaw members, say the operators are running it from outside the state, several abroad.

On the call of Hurriyat chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani, a shutdown was observed as part of “Martyrs’ Week” campaign launched by the separatists.

Most offices, shops and banks remained closed in the city and towns of Kashmir valley, while private traffic plied normally on the roads.

“People in 2008 and 2010 came out on roads peacefully to express their view point regarding resolution of the Kashmir issue. Unfortunately, brute force was used by the government leaving 125 youth dead in 2010,” moderate Hurriyat chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq told the visiting Pugwash International secretary general Paulo Cortazeno and Japan embassy’s Takeshi Osuga at Srinagar residence of the separatist leader.

Relatives of slain youth of 2010 protested at Lal Chowk demanding justice.

A seminar was also organised at Mattoo’s residence at Saida Kadal where Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front chairman Yasin Malik, Dukhtaran-e-Milat chief Asiya Andrabi and High Court Bar Association president Mian Abdul Qayoom.

“We need to carry forward the movement. The year 2010 reflected a transition of armed struggle to non-violent means but it was silenced with brutal force,” said Malik.

 The year 2010 witnessed unprecedented civil uprising across the valley immediately after Mattoo was killed in police firing in old city on June 11. The protests only subsided when an all party members from New delhi visited the state and other initiatives were launched to mollify the angry crowds. Around 113 youth were killed in the cycle of violence that lasted for five months.