Actor Ranbir Kapoor and Barfi! director Anurag Basu are happy that the film is India's official entry for the Oscars 2013, but said they have a long way to go to actually gain a nomination.
The film beat 19 other films to be named India's entry in the Best Foreign Language Film category
at the Oscars in February next year.
"We all are very happy... It is a team effort but we should not be that excited as the film has just got an entry from India, we are yet to be selected for the main entry," said Ranbir, who has played the role of a deaf and mute boy in the film.
After all the congratulatory messages poured in, director Anurag tweeted, "Thank you much!!! Lekin abhi delhi door hai (We have a long way to go)!! Pray for us!!"
Only three films - Mehboob Khan's Mother India, Mira Nair's Salam Bombay! and Aamir Khan's Lagaan - from India have managed to get to the final round of Oscar nominations so far.
Ranbir, 29, said that they would seek advice from Aamir in case they make it to the final round.
"If the film gets a go ahead, we would take advice from Aamir (Khan) about how to go ahead," Ranbir said.
The film also stars Priyanka Chopra - playing an autistic girl - and marked the Bollywood debut of southern actress Ileana D'Cruz.
Priyanka, who is currently out of the country, called the film a "labour of love", saying, "Yay! Congratulations team Barfi! This is such amazing news. This film was a labour of love for all of us and to see it receive such amazing success is so gratifying.
"This has been the toughest character of my life and to see everyone loving Jhilmil is such a dream come true. I am thrilled to be a part of such a wonderful team who made this happen," Priyanka said in an sms message from Los Angeles.
The 85th Academy Awards will take place on February 24, 2013. The nominations will be announced on January 10.
© Copyright © 2013 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved.