More than 200 people marched from Amboli church to the grave of Keenan Santos on the occasion of his first death anniversary on Saturday evening.
Santos had died fighting men who harassed his women friends at an Amboli restaurant on October 20, 2011. His friend Reuben Fernandes
who was also attacked, succumbed to stab wounds a few days later.
His family, meanwhile, is still awaiting justice. While the police have submitted the charge sheet in the case, the framing of charges is yet to begin.
Valerian Santos, Keenan's father, said the date for framing charges had been postponed nearly 25 times since February.
"Each time it is either the judge or the lawyer or the accused who is not present in court. Three judges have already been changed till date," Santos said.
There had been widespread outrage in the city after the shocking murders, prompting the police to start specialised squads to keep an eye on instances of men harassing women. Home minister RR Patil, too, had promised that the case would be fast-tracked to ensure speedy justice keeping in mind the outrage the case had generated
Those assembled near the church on Saturday evening around 8pm included parents, relatives, and friends of Santos. Santos's grandmother burst into tears at his grave, while his friends and relatives lit candles.
The incident had taken place outside an Amboli restaurant when Santos, Fernandes, and their friends were attacked by a bunch of goons. Santos succumbed to the stab wounds.
The two were trying to shield their female friends from a group of thugs after they came out following dinner at the eatery in Andheri (West).
The goons went back and returned with more than a dozen others and launched an assault on Keenan and Reuben.
© Copyright © 2013 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved.