“These irregularities are not serious enough at this stage to warrant a criminal investigation. During inspection, no documentary proof in the records of the association was found to show the use of the funds in any such political activity or in IAC movement or agitation”, said a Home Ministry affidavit.
It came in response to a PIL filed by one Manohar Lal Sharma demanding CBI probe into the “foreign-sponsored agitations in the country spearheaded by the NGOs under the banner of Team Anna and India Against Corruption”. It alleged Team Anna got foreign funding in violation of the Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act (FCRA). The MHA affidavit filed by centre’s lawyer Sumeet Pushkarna said the conclusion was arrived on the basis of inspection of the offices of these NGOs, scrutiny of utilization of foreign contribution received by them and other documents. A Bench headed by chief justice D Murugesan will take up the affidavit for hearing on January 17.
Irregularities noticed at Kiran Bedi’s ‘Navjyoti India Foundation’* It maintained 12 bank accounts including FCRA designated bank account and frequently withdrew FC and deposited into other bank accounts
* Non-maintenance of fixed assets registers for the purchases out of FC funds
Irregularities noticed at Kiran Bedi’s ‘India Vision Foundation’* It maintained 15 bank accounts including FCRA designated bank account and frequently withdraw FC and deposit into other bank accounts
Irregularities noticed during inspection at Manish Sisodia’s ‘Kabir’* Some vouchers were not supported with invoices/bills
* Repairing bills of personal vehicles have been claimed from the association’s accounts
* Cash disbursed to people without any record
* The present office runs from the residential flat of wife of Manish Sisodia, the chief functionary of Kabir. There is no rent agreement
* Most of the foreign contribution has been spent on tours and travels. But there was no approval of the board of trustee available in the records.