iconimg Monday, May 25, 2015

Press Trust Of India
New Delhi, December 09, 2012
India's meek surrender in two consecutive Tests against England on home turf was on Sunday lambasted by former players, who felt it was high time the selectors made players accountable for their shambolic performance.

India lost by seven wickets in the third Test in Kolkata to concede an unassailable 2-1 series lead to England, who had earlier mauled the hosts by 10 wickets in the second match in Mumbai.

"England were well-prepared while India were over confident. The Indian preparation for this important series was diabolical," said former captain and ex-chief selector Dilip Vengsarkar.

"When we went to England we played one warm-up game before plunging into the Test series. The same happened when we went to Australia. By contrast England's preparations were very good. I hope the selectors show vision and courage of conviction. At least a couple of changes are expected straightaway," he said.

Another former chief selector Kris Srikkanth directed his ire towards skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni, calling him confused.

"Definitely Dhoni is confused. He does not know what to do and when things go out of control he just lets them drift away," he said.

Kiran More, also a former selector, said some changes should be made to the side ahead of the fourth Test starting on Thursday in Nagpur.

"We were outplayed in all departments and if you don't score 450 plus in the first innings on a track that was provided, you are already on the backfoot. At this point of time you cannot have wholesale changes, may be one or two changes for the next Test match.

"I don't want to blame the captain alone because it has been a collective failure," he said.