iconimg Saturday, August 29, 2015

Jatinder Kohli , Hindustan Times
Nawanshahr, December 29, 2012
Kathgarh police station SHO Gurinder Pal Singh was transferred on Saturday afternoon, after sustained pressure from various civic organizations and NGOs. He allegedly failed to take action in the murder of 20-year-old Harwinder Singh of Paniyali Kalan and also did not make any arrests in the case of a minor girl's abduction from Haddobet.

The Balachaur police, particularly in Kathgarh, had been under fire and was facing constant protests from organisations like the Istri Jagriti Manch, the Communist Party of India (M), and the Medical Practitioners Association along with residents of Haddobet and Paniyali Kalan villages in the district.
Istri Jagriti Manch had held several protests at Nawanshahr and Kathgarh in last two months, demanding his removal from police station.

State president of the manch Gurbaksh Kaur Sangha had alleged that the role of SHO in the minor girl's abduction was dubious as he acted only after the kith and kin of the girl, supported by various organizations took to the streets.

She added: "The manch also gheraoed the Kathgarh police station on December 24 and protested again on December 28 as SHO was not arresting one of the accused in the abduction case, Amrik Singh."

Medical Practitioners Association's state president Dr Ramesh Kumar Bali also seconded the Istri Jagriti Manch and alleged that SHO Gurinder Pal Singh was not doing his duty properly.

In another recent protest against the SHO, more than 200 party workers of the PPP and the CPM, along with residents of Paniyali Kalan surrounded the SSP's office and demanded action in the murder case of 20-year-old Harwinder Singh of Paniyali Kalan village, whose body was found on November 12.

The protest was lifted only after SSP Dhanpreet Kaur accepted their demand for the setting up of a new Special Investigation Team (SIT) to nab the assailants.

When contacted, DSP (Balachaur) Lakhvir Singh asked this reporter to contact SHO Gurinder Pal Singh and disconnected the call.

Meanwhile, the SHO Gurinder Pal Singh claimed that he had been asking for a transfer due to some family issues and the decision had nothing to do with his performance.