iconimg Monday, August 03, 2015

HT Correspondent
Jalandhar, January 08, 2013
Even as the process for registration of eateries under the Food Safety and Standard Act (FSA) has been on for nearly 17 months, not even a single eatery of any educational institute in the district has applied for either registration or a licence. The deadline has already been extended from August 5, 2012 to February 4, 2013, as the health department did not receive the expected number of applications.

However, none of the educational institutions applied and during the regulation and no one has applied even in the extended period.

The registration is expected to ensure parents and students that the eatable served meet certain prescribed standards of quality and hygiene.

Food safety officer Dr Harjotpal Singh said that a majority of the schools and colleges have not applied for registration licenses, mandatory under the law.
"According to the Act, implemented in August 2011, a food businesses with an annual turnover exceeding Rs. 12 lakh requires a licence, while those earning below that need registration only. Milk sellers with sale below 500 litres needs only a registration and a licence is needed for sale above 500 litres."

He said that fee for registration is Rs. 100, and for a licence it varies from Rs. 2,000, 3,000 and Rs. 5,000 depending on the category.
He added that 645 eateries have a licence and 846 joints have been registered with the department.

District health officer Dr Ashwani Sondhi said that eateries working without registration or licensing, would be sealed after the deadline.
"We will carry out sustained inspection and checks to identify defaulters. The Act provides for provision of a fine up to Rs. 5 lakh or imprisonment up to six months if an eatery is found running without any licence or registration," Dr Sondhi said. He added that adequate awareness had been created among the stores and eatery owners.

Civil surgeon RL Bassan said that all food sellers, selling any article of food himself or a petty retailer, hawker, itinerant vendor or temporary stall holder, hotels, restaurants, canteens, dhabas, food cats, sweetshops, tea stalls, grocery stores, meat sellers, milk sellers, chemist shops, fast food joints are required to either register themselves or get a licence. He added that even marriage palaces and caterers were required to enroll under the process.