On Monday, when he was repairing a gas stove, the gas started leaking, leading to the fire. Soon, the other gas cylinders lying in the shop caught fire and the flames spread to two other shops, which got partially damaged.
As the fire broke out, owner Daya Sagar fled from the shop and other shopkeepers informed the fire brigade. It took the fire tenders three hours to control the fire.
Ayub Khan, a worker at an adjoining shop, suffered minor injuries.
Nawanshahr tehsildar Shiv Kumar and other officials reached the spot and started investigations.Kumar said the owner fled from the shop and for completion of inquiry, they needed to record his statement. He wondered at the presence of around 10 gas cylinders in the shop, which led to the fire.