The Uttar Pradesh Jal Nigam has sought Centre’s approval for its plan to lay down a 490-km new sewer line in trans-Hindon areas.
“The plan with an estimated cost of Rs.
900 crore is aimed at addressing the sewer line problems in Kaushambi, Vaishali and
Indirapuram and other parts of the city,” said Prem Kumar Assudani, chief engineer, UP Jal Nigam, Ghaziabad. He was speaking during a panel discussion on infrastructure organised by the Hindustan Times on Monday.
At present, the residents of these areas face massive problems of sewage disposal because of the damaged existing sewer line.
Under the plan, the department will lay 490-km-long sewer line in trans-Hindon area. Two new sewage pumping stations will be built up at Arthala and Pasaunda. “In addition to the two new sewage pumping stations, capacity of existing sewer lines will also be increased,” said Assudani.
The project is expected to be completed in five years, once it is approved by the Centre. “The DPR (detailed project report) of the plan has already been prepared and sent to the central government for approval. It will take five years to be completed after the approval. As the project is proposed under the National River Conservation Plan, 85% of the total expenses of R898.43 crore will be contributed by the Centre and the rest 15% will be borne by the state,” Assudani said.
The residents also took part in the panel discussion. Many of them complained that drains have not been disilted in the last many years.
“Most of the sewer lines have no disposal points and sewages flow in rain water drainages,” said VK Mittal, a resident of Kaushambi.
The residents also raised their concerns over depleting groundwater level and asked for increased supply of Ganga water.
Ghaziabad municipal commissioner Jitender Singh assured that enough Ganga water will be provided to trans-Hindon colonies from September.
Senior officials of various government departments present in the discussion emphasized on the need of better co-ordination between them. “Rather than blaming one department or the other, problems like encroachment can be solved easily with joint efforts of GDA, police, municipal corporation, PWD and Awas Nigam,” said SK Rathore, OSD, Ghaziabad Development Authority.
© Copyright © 2013 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved.