More than 200 cases of gastroenteritis have been reported from Kunde Ghesal, Gopalia and Tugyal villages of Dinanagar since Friday.
Civil surgeon Dr Vinod Beri said the patients reported that they drank contaminated water from hand pumps less than 30-35 feet deep, adding that most of them were sent home after first aid.
"More than 150 patients turned up on Sunday. Those suffering from dehydration were given glucose at the village dispensary, and discharged after their condition improved," he added.
The CS said the district health department had formed teams of doctors, which were camping at the affected villages, adding that arrangements had been made to shift patients to the nearby community health centre at Singhowal, in case their condition worsened.
"There are 11 patients at the health centre currently. The rest were sent home after first aid," he said.
He said that the district health department had distributed chlorine tablets among the villagers, and had directed them to drink only boiled water.
Health department teams conducted a survey in the area regarding the status of drinking water and took samples, some of which failed. The department also launched an awareness campaign in the affected area, he claimed.
Sub-divisional magistrate (SDM) Tejinderpal Singh Sandhu claimed that the situation was now "under control".
Though water supply was available in the locality, people did not store water for drinking, and used water from hand pumps instead. In the past few days, the supply pipes had leakages in several places, contaminating the water, he added.
"The leaking pipes were repaired immediately, and people are getting clean drinking water through the government water supply system," he claimed, adding that people had been instructed not to use water drawn from hand pump.