Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) president Avtar Singh Makkar has ordered a probe into the death of Amarjit Singh (71), a resident of Jabalpur (Madhya Pradesh), who died after consuming langar laced with a toxic substance. The langar was being served outside Gurdwara Baba Atal Rai, near Harmandar Sahib.
Makkar also expressed condolences with the victim's family. He has deputed Sukhdev Singh Bhoorakohna, additional secretary, SGPC, to conduct the probe.
Amarjit's wife Rajinder Kaur, Kishan Chand of Kaithal (Haryana), his wife Shashi Prabha and Gurdeep Singh Singh had been taken ill after partaking of the langar.
Sources said there was a powdery substance in the food consumed by the victims, who began to throw up soon after having it.
"Such a savage act can only be accomplished under a conspiracy as the other people who consumed langar remained fine. The matter would be probed in depth. Action would be initiated as per law against the persons found guilty," Makkar added.
Meanwhile, sub-inspector Bhagwan Singh, in-charge, Galliara police post, said the matter was being investigated. He added that the post-mortem had been conducted.