Have all your fun this Holi but do remember to be careful. Here are a few things to remember:
1. Avoid playing with synthetic colours. Use organic or natural gulal.
2. Make your own natural colours in your kitchen. For example, mix turmeric with besan or soak and grind dried tesu flowers for a yellow, use beetroot paste for a deep pink and soak pomegranate peels overnight for a beautiful pink.
3. Respect other people’s sentiments. Do not apply or throw colour on them if they don’t want you to.
4. Covering your hair with a hat, cap or a bandana will protect them from chemicals that are hard-to-rinse.
5. It’s best to coat your face and all the exposed parts of the body with a layer of cold cream or oil. This will protect the skin and make it easy to remove the colour.
6. Avoid venturing out without your cool shades. They’ll protect your eyes, when you are not playing with colours.
7. Wear your worst Holi gear, complete with an old pair of sneakers or closed shoes. Give chappals or sandals a miss as these may break, slip or make you trip while trying to dunk or run.
8. Apply a dark coloured nail polish. With all the colour on you, no one will even notice it.
9. Try to ward off all attacks on the face. But in case you are attacked ask time to take off your spectacles and keep your eyes and lips tightly shut.
10. While travelling in a car, keep the car windows rolled up. Get your parents to cover the seats with old bedsheets and old newspapers.