The Top10 gags of all times
Kenneth Williams’s ‘Infamy’ one liner from Carry On Cleo has been voted the funniest gag of all timesart and culture Updated: Apr 04, 2007 19:07 IST
Kenneth Williams’ famous one liner ‘Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me’ from the film Carry on Cleo (1964) has been voted the funniest gag of all times, in a survey conducted by Sky Movies Comedy.
The dialogue uttered by Williams as Julius Caesar was followed by ‘He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy’ from Monty Python's Life of Brian at the second spot, followed by ‘Surely you can't be serious?’ ‘I am serious - and don't call me Shirley’, a quip featuring Leslie Nielseon in Airplane at third spot, in the poll of 1,000 comedians and industry figures and film fans.
Groucho Marx’s ‘Remember you're fighting for this woman's honour, which is probably more than she ever did’ from Duck Soup (1933) and Woody Allen’s one liner from Annie Hall ‘Don't knock masturbation. It's sex with someone I love’, completed the top five at the fourth and the fifth spots respectively.
Bob McCabe, film critic and author of The Rough Guide To Comedy, is pleased with British comedy's performance.
"It's great to see two British movies in the top three and well-established classics with great lasting power,’ the Daily Mail quoted him, as saying.
McCabe added that Williams’ gab was sure to win because it is a stand lone joke.
"I thought that Kenneth Williams would win, as it is a great stand-alone joke, the joke is simple and no build-up to the line is needed," he added.
The top 10 funniest one liners of all times are as follows:
1. "Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!" - Kenneth Williams as Julius Caesar in Carry On Cleo (1964)
2. "He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" - Terry Jones as Brian's mum in Life Of Brian (1979)
3. "Surely you can't be serious?" "I am serious - and don't call me Shirley" - Leslie Nielsen as Dr Rumack in Airplane (1980)
4. "Remember you're fighting for this woman's honour, which is probably more than she ever did." - Groucho Marx as Rufus T Firefly in Duck Soup (1933)
5. "Don't knock masturbation. It's sex with someone I love." - Woody Allen as Alvy Singer in Annie Hall (1977)
6. "Do you have a licence for your minkey?" Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau in The Return of the Pink Panther (1975)
7. "Is that... is that hair gel?" - Cameron Diaz as Mary Jensen in There's Something About Mary (1998)
8. "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room." - Peter Sellers as President Merkin Muffley in Dr Strangelove or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love The Bomb (1963)
9. "Nice beaver!" "Thank you. I just had it stuffed." - Leslie Nielsen as Lt Frank Drebin and Priscilla Presley as Jane Spencer in The Naked Gun: From The Files of Police Squad! (1988)
10. "When I met Mary I got that old-fashioned romantic feeling where I'd do anything to bone her" - Jim Carrey as Lloyd Christmas in Dumb and Dumber (1994).