Theatre, food, workshop: 10 things to do in Mumbai this weekend
Your weekend. Our guide.HT48HRS_Special Updated: Feb 16, 2017 18:17 IST
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 17
1) Food and drink: Gourmet lunch: Gorge on soups such as chilled gazpacho and curry laksa, and mains such as watermelon sashimi, miso glazed sweet potato, hand torn buratta, tea smoked tofu, and kale papdichaat.
Where: TAG GourmArt Kitchen, Kamala Mills, Lower Parel; Call: 2497 2424
Price: Rs 1,800 for two people; When: 12 pm to 3 pm
2) Art: The Eternal City of Benaras: Using shades of black, brown and white, with hints of blue and red, artist Ashif Hossain brings to life the spiritual city of Varanasi.
Where: Studio3 Art Gallery, Nagin Mahal, Nariman Point; Call: 9819344839
Entry: Free ; When: 11 am to 6 pm
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 18
3) Theatre: The Magic Flute: What’s better than an opera? An opera-inspired puppet show. Complete with a typical fairy-tale – a prince who recuses a damsel in distress – the story progresses through traditional string puppets with voice overs and songs.
Where: Canvas Laugh Club, Palladium, Lower Parel; Call: 90046 03115
Tickets: Rs 500 onward; When: 6pm
4) Music: Krishna Ke Taal: Pt Anuradha Pal will walk the audience through the stories of Krishna’s affairs with his consorts – Radha and Rukhmini – through percussion. Expect tabla with sufi poetry.
Where: Hall of Culture, Nehru Centre, Worli; Call: 2496 4676
Tickets: Rs 200; When: 6.30pm
5) Food and drink: Modern European: Spend the weekend tasting a new menu, curated by noted chefs Ashay Dhopatkar and Neha Lakhani. Dig into their signature dishes such as pommé mousseline, passion fruit and chilli spheres, pannéd braised lamb, and raspberry nitro lollipops.
Where: Magazine Street Kitchen, near Britannia Company, Byculla (E)
Call:2372 6708; Price: Rs 4,200 onward per person; When: 7.30pm
6) Travel: Turtle Festival: Head to Velas beach in Ratnagiri for the annual gathering of Olive Ridley turtles. Be there to see eggs hatch, and newborn turtles head out into the sea.
Where: Dadar TT, near Khodadad Circle (assembly point. Head to Velas by bus)
Call: 8692055777; Price: Rs 3,000; When: 10pm (assembly point)
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 19
7) Screening: Amadeus: Catch the screening of the critically acclaimed opera, by director Peter Shaffer. The story is a fictionalised account of the lives of legendary Austrian composers Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Antonio Salieri.
Where: Godrej Dance Theatre, NCPA, Nariman Point; Call: 6622 3737
Tickets: Rs 500 onward; When: 2pm and 6pm
8) Workshop: Ink Doodle: Know all about using ink to create intricate doodles for DIY gifts and frames. Work with ink pens and try your hand at calligraphy.
Where: Raasta Bombay, Ram Krishan Nagar, Khar (W); Call: 86550 00811
Price: Rs 1,850; When: 4pm
9) Vegan indulgence: Dig into an all-new vegan menu with strawberry cheesecake smoothie, Italian pesto almond torte with pizza crackers, Moroccan tomato zucchini salad, burgers with cashew mayonnaise and raw cacao brownie.
Where: 212 All Good, High Street Phoenix, Lower Parel; Call: 6221 6020
Price: Rs 1,000 for two people; When: 9am to 11.30pm
10) Theatre: Laughter in the House — 2: A sequel to a comedy play that paid tribute to Parsi theatre personality Adi Marzban, the play promises drama and dance in addition to the signature cultural comedy.
Where: Tata Theatre, NCPA, Nariman Point; Call: 6622 3737
Tickets: Rs 200 onward; When: 7pm