No work at Tata's Nano site for 2nd day
Work at the Nano car project site remained paralysed for the 2nd consecutive day as none of the employees could report for work due to siege laid by Trinamool Congress.autos Updated: Aug 30, 2008 15:07 IST
Work at Tata Motors' Nano car project site remained paralysed for the second consecutive day on Saturday as none of the employees could report for work due to a siege laid by Trinamool Congress.
Irked by constant intimidation of its workforce by agitating party workers, the company on Friday had evacuated the manpower from Singur.
"There has been no improvement in the ground situation so far, hence the conditions are still not conducive for resuming work today," a Tata Motors spokesperson said. "We continue to assess the situation closely," he said.
Tata group Chairman Ratan Tata has threatened to move the project out of West Bengal unless the agitation stops and safety of workers is ensured.
Trinamool Congress cadres led by party chief Mamata Banerjee have blocked the plant, being set up for manufacturing the world's cheapest car, since August 24.
The party is demanding that 400 acres of land be returned to farmers who were not willing to part with it for the project. The protest has hit progress of work on the factory.
There was heavy deployment of police continued outside the factory gate as the indefinite demonstration by Trinamool Congress continued.
On Thursday, factory workers were prevented from leaving the premises by the supporters of a forum of farmers.