A woman was burnt alive when a house caught fire in Deep Singh Nagar here on Wednesday evening.
The incident took place at about 6:30 pm when victim Kamlesh Kumari (45) was alone at the house.
The cause of the fire is yet to be ascertained. The fire was so intense that Kumari didn't get a chance to escape and perished the fire. Two fire tenders were pressed in service to control the fire.
The victim's neighbours said that Kumari died of burn injuries by the time they arranged help to her.
Victim's husband Babu Ram, who works in an oil depot here, was out of station while three of the children had gone to the nearby vegetable market.
DSP, city, Gurmit Singh, who reached the spot, said that the reasons behind the cause of the fire are yet to be ascertained and it appears that incident happened due to a short circuit in the electricity wiring.