9-year-old girl dies after eating Kanya Bhoj in Jabalpur | bhopal | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 24, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

9-year-old girl dies after eating Kanya Bhoj in Jabalpur

bhopal Updated: Apr 17, 2016 21:19 IST
girl dies after eating Kanya Bhoj

A nine-year-old girl died, while nine other children were taken ill after eating food at ‘Kanya Bhoj’, a religious feast organised during Navratri, in Jabalpur district, police said on Sunday.

The girls ate food at over half-a-dozen houses on Saturday, following which 10 of them complained of queasiness. All the girls were admitted to a private hospital, where one Aastha Mishra’s condition deteriorated. Mishra was referred to the district medical hospital where she died of suspected food poisoning on Sunday.

Civil Lines police station town inspector, Arvind Jain said the girls had eaten food in seven to eight houses throughout Saturday. Their parents were, however, found unaware about the houses where the girls were invited for the ‘bhoj’.

“Police are investigating the matter. They have sent the girl’s body for postmortem,” he said.

In January, 58 children and 10 women fell sick after eating ‘kheer’ (rice pudding) following Republic Day celebrations in Betul district.

In December last year, three siblings, aged between three and eight, died of food poisoning in Panna district while in August over 45 children fell ill after eating mid-day meal at a government school in Khandwa district.