Another tiger dies of electric shock in Katni
Yet another tiger was electrocuted and killed in the forests of Katni district during the intervening night of Sunday and Monday.bhopal Updated: Feb 27, 2013 15:46 IST
Yet another tiger was electrocuted and killed in the forests of Katni district during the intervening night of Sunday and Monday. This is the fourth incident of tiger death by electrocution since November.
In all the previous cases, death occurred because of electrocution. Three out of the four cases since November have taken place in Katni district. In all, 14 tigers have died in Madhya Pradesh since January, 2012. Besides, police in Seoni seized skins of two tigers in September, 2012.
Chief wildlife warden PK Shukla told HT that one person has been arrested in the matter but details would be available only on Tuesday as officials are still camping in the area.
Sources said that on Monday morning, villagers informed the forest department staff that a tiger was lying dead near Machmacha village in Barhi . Forest department staff reached the spot and found the dead tiger.
The electrocuted tiger was identified as male and its age was about four years.
The spot where the tiger was killed is about 40 kms from Tala - the headquarters of Bandhavgarh tiger reserve.
Sources said that poachers had laid a trap using electrical wires to kill wild animals. However, a tiger seemed to have walked into the trap and got killed. The poachers fled from the spot on seeing the dead tiger.
All parts of the tiger’s body that can be sold were found intact. A team of veterinarians reached the spot and conducted a post- mortem examination. It confirmed death because of electrocution.