FIR has been lodged against five people who cooked mid-day meal for children of government primary school in Balapur village of Ichchwar in Sehore district of Madhya Pradesh. At least 59 children of the school fell ill after eating the mid-day meal cooked by them.
Chief executive officer (district panchayat) RR Bhosale said the contract of self-help group responsible to prepare the mid-day meal has been terminated by the department. The sample of the adulterated food has been sent to laboratory for testing, he added.
Town inspector (TI), Ichchwar police station, said FIR has been lodged under section 284 (negligent conduct with respect to poisonous substance) and 337 (causing hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others) of IPC against all the five cooks who cooked the mid-day meal on Independence Day.
A teacher has also been suspended and increments of four people have been withheld. The students were served special mid-day meal on the occasion of Independence Day after the flag hoisting ceremony. The children started vomiting after eating the puris served to them and 59 of them had to be rushed to a local health centre. While most of them were allowed to go after primary treatment, eight of them were referred to the district hospital as their condition worsened. Sources said after they fell short of the cooking oil, the SHG members fried the puris in non-edible oil, leading to health complications.