Gaur responsible for his death: Rlys | bhopal | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 20, 2018-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Gaur responsible for his death: Rlys

West Central Railwayon on Tuesday shed its defensive posture and said Gaur was, himself, responsible for his death as he didn’t act sensibly while trying to board the train.

bhopal Updated: Dec 18, 2012 14:43 IST
Amit Jha

West Central Railway on Monday sought to wash its hands off the unfortunate incident in which executive president of JP Power Venture Ltd Rajeev Gaur had died, falling off the train after travelling for about 10 minutes clinging on to the gate of an AC compartment in Sourthern Express, which was shut. Body of Gaur, who had boarded the train at Mandi Bamora, was recovered by the side of the railway track ahead of Kulhar station. The incident had put a big question mark on security of train passengers as Gaur’s personal security officer (PSO), Ramcharan Gurjar, said the station master Arvind Sahu did not pay heed to his request to halt the train. Sahu has since been suspended. But, railways on Tuesday shed its defensive posture and said Gaur was, himself, responsible for his death as he didn’t act sensibly while trying to board the train.

Bhopal-based senior circle security commissioner of railways, AK Agnihotri, in his report on the incident said “Rajeev Gaur, who was supposed to board the train from Bina, tried to catch it at Mandi Bamora, where stoppage of the train is just two minutes. He could not identify his coach and instead tried to get into a spare coach, which was closed. Further, he held on to the gate of the train, which was a risky decision taken in haste, which led to this unfortunate incident for which he, himself, is responsible.”

Still, the railway administration taking prompt action placed station master, Mandi Bamora, Arvind Sahu, under suspension for prima facie showing insensitivity in such a critical situation.

Referring to Gaur’s PSO, Ramcharan Gurjar’s statement, the report said Gaur tried to board the first AC-III coach located next to the engine and when it did not open, he sent Ramcharan to get the door opened from the other side (off side). In the meanwhile, the train left for Bhopal after due stoppage and when Gurjar came onto the other side of the platform, he didn’t find Gaur on the platform and he could guess that Gaur kept clinging on to handle of the gate as the train left. He rushed to Sahu and requested him to halt the train. Sahu, who received the information at 9.19 am, relayed it to deputy station superintendent, Kulhar, Amit Arya. The train, by then, had crossed the IBH between Mandi Bamora and Kulhar. The train passed through Kulhar station at 9.22am. Arya could see a person clinging on to the gate of the compartment next to the engine. He informed the control room and deputy station superintendent, Chhuleta, RK Meena. However, a minute later Gaur fell from the train and died.

Two locked spare AC III-tier compartments were being taken from Hazrat Nizammudin for Secunderabad station. It was one of these that Gaur tried to board. There was no passenger or attendant in the coach, the report said.

The case is being investigated by GRP head constable at Ganj Basoda Rajaram.