MP: Gag order on pvt clinics, nursing homes alerted on swine flu deaths

  • HT Correspondents, Hindustan Times, Bhopal/Indore
  • Updated: Jan 22, 2015 16:31 IST

The MP health department warned nursing homes and private hospitals to refrain from furnishing the figures of swine flu deaths to the media on Wednesday, failing which their licences would be cancelled.

This came after Bhopal witnessed its first swine flu death on Tuesday. A middle-aged woman died of complications at a private hospital in the city. Swine flu has already claimed four lives in Indore so far. At present, 13 patients are undergoing treatment in both the cities.

Following the woman’s death, health minister Narottam Mishra reviewed the scenario in the state on Wednesday. An alert has also been sounded in the state.

Later, Mishra said private hospitals and nursing homes had been asked not to spread rumours about swine flu deaths, adding that such occurrences would be confirmed only after a review of each case by a committee headed by the deans of government medical colleges.

The committee will comprise the joint secretary of the health department, chief medical and health officer (CMHO) and head of the medicine department.

The health minister added that an order had been issued informing all swine flu cases at private clinics and nursing homes would be reviewed daily.

The case sheets of patients would be reviewed by the committee set up for the purpose. The private clinics would have to send a daily report to the committee, Mishra said.

“This is to ensure that proper protocols have been followed. Severe action will follow in case of any deviation,” he added.

Mishra said the enforcement of protocols and availability of drugs had also been reviewed.

“People coming from Delhi and other affected places in the country as well as those living in proximity to affected patients have been categorised as high risk,” he said.

The state government has adequate stock of Tamiflu tablets to counter the situation, the minister added.

In Indore, a 35-year-old woman tested positive for swine flu on Wednesday. With this, the number of patients reached six in the city.

The woman, a resident of Harda district, was admitted to a private hospital on January 16. It was only after her condition became critical that her blood sample was sent for test.Another patient from Harda was also admitted to the same hospital, Dr GL Sodhi, the district in-charge of integrated disease surveillance project, said.

Last year, 10 people had tested positive for swine flu in Indore and six of them had died, Sodhi added.

also read

If state can offer 1.2 lakh acres to corporate biggies, why not to displaced people:...
Show comments