Panic gripped central Bina city of Sagar district on Sunday following leakage of ammonia gas from an ice factory at Kachha road area. The Bharat Oman Refinery Limited safety team was called and gas leakage was stopped.
Bina police station officer VD Pandey said the leakage started at around 11.15 am at Kachha road area. People residing near the Ice factory experienced uneasiness and irritation in eye. They came out of their houses and informed the authorities when they learnt that ammonia gas was leaking from the nearby ice factory.
Police and administrative officials rushed to the spot and the road was closed for traffic as a precautionary measure. The Bina Oil Refinery (BORL) safety team was called and they stopped the gas leakage at about 2 pm.
The leakage took place when an ice slab was being carried by the chain pulley and it accidentally fell on the safety valve of an ammonia cylinder thereby breaking it and leading to the leakage. The total weight of ammonia cylinder including gas was 150 kilogram. Police said some people visited nearby hospital for irritation in eyes and uneasiness.
Meanwhile according to local sources some years back there had been similar leakage but the factory is not equipped to stop or handle such leakages. The locals said they had complained to the authorities in the past but no action was taken. They have also questioned the ice factory’s location in a densely populated area. Meanwhile some locals have vacated their houses fearing heavy leakage and explosion.
Bina SDM Rajni Singh said an inquiry into the lapses would be conducted and necessary action would be taken.