Mumbai: Bandra to get 50 devices for instant aid to cardiac patients | bhopal | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 27, 2017-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Mumbai: Bandra to get 50 devices for instant aid to cardiac patients

Mumbai city news: Doctors from the Holy Family Hospital and Medical Research Centre will install the devices at spots across the area where most people can access them

bhopal Updated: Jun 23, 2017 00:39 IST
Aayushi Pratap
(For representation)

One of two people who suffer sudden cardiac incidents does not make it to a hospital as first aid is delayed.

What could help? Making more defibrillators, or devices that help restart the heart, available in the vicinity. Bandra is experimenting with a project, where 50 defibrillators will be set up in public places.

Doctors from the Holy Family Hospital and Medical Research Centre will install the devices at spots across the area where most people can access them.

“Sudden cardiac arrests (SCA) can happen to anyone, anytime and anywhere. There is no way to predict when someone will develop it,” said cardiologist Dr Brian Lobo, during the launch of the pilot project called ‘i CARE, or cardiac arrest resuscitation for everyone’.

Dr Yash Lokhandwala, a cardiologist at the hospital, said 40% to 50% of patients with sudden cardiac arrest die because they do not receive emergency medical aid. “With every passing minute, the chances of survival reduce by 10%. Bystanders need to be quick to recognise the symptoms and perform the cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and defibrillation,” he said.

“The process of giving CPR and defibrillation has to go on till medical help arrives,” said Dr Khusrav Bajan, head of emergency services at PD Hinduja Hospital, Mahim. Currently, all defibrillators come with pre-recorded instructions in English. The device costs between Rs60,000 and Rs1 lakh.

Lokhandwala said in India, less than 1% who have a sudden cardiac arrest outside the hospital survive. “In Mumbai, the delay in reaching a hospital is inevitable. This is another reason why everyone must know CPR and defibrillation,” Dr Lokhandwala said.