Prohibitory orders lifted from strife-torn Rewa, calm prevails | bhopal | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 28, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Prohibitory orders lifted from strife-torn Rewa, calm prevails

bhopal Updated: Feb 16, 2016 18:06 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
violence in Rewa

Prohibitory order clamped on Rewa district was lifted on Monday, two days after violence erupted following the death of Atiq Ahmad alias Rocky. The former municipal councillor of the ruling BJP died due to alleged police excesses.

“With no untoward incident being reported from anywhere over last 24 hours, it was decided to lift the prohibitory orders, which was imposed under Section 144 of CrPc in the town, following the... violence,” Rewa district collector Rahul Jain told HT.

Though nothing untoward was reported anywhere since the funeral of the deceased BJP leader on Sunday evening, an uneasy calm prevailed in the old town following rumours of fresh violence, resulting in the sudden closure of the markets in Dhobia Tanki, Hospital Crossing, Prakash Crossing, Venkat Road and Shilpi Plaza.

Rewa additional SP Pranay Nagvanshi, who was patrolling the old town areas in the evening, said a thorough vigil is being maintained, particularly in Ghoghar.

Detailed report about entire episode sought from the Rewa SP

anwhile, sources in the state police headquarters in Bhopal said a detailed report about the entire episode has been sought from the Rewa district police superintendent.

On Saturday evening, Rocky had gone to vacate a house in Ghurai Bazar locality, when the woman living there complained to the police. The police swung into action and detained Rocky and beat him in full public view, later taking him to the police station.

The same night, he complained of chest pain, following which, he was rushed to the Sanjay Gandhi Government Hospital, where he died. While the police claimed he died of cardiac arrest, his kin and supporters claimed that he died due to police torture. Large scale violence was reported on the intervening night of Saturday and Sunday following Rocky’s death.

On Sunday, Rewa Kotwali in-charge Shailendra Bhargava was suspended and four other policemen of the station were attached to district police lines. All five policemen, as well as three unidentified persons, were booked for murder.

None of the five policemen have been arrested till now and a magisterial probe also has been ordered into the custodial death.