Seven labourers fell unconscious because of the effect of chlorine gas that leaked from a pipe at Orient Paper Mills, Amlai in Shahdol district on Saturday. Workers were present in large numbers near the spot of leakage that occurred around 9.30 am.
The incident caused panic, resulting in a big crowd gathering outside the mills' gate. However, the leakage was plugged almost immediately and the affected labourers were shifted to the company hospital for treatment, where they recovered soon, police said.
Police and district administration officials who rushed to the spot managed to pacify the crowd and disperse it. Shahdol superintendent of police, GG Pandey, confirmed that people who had gathered could be dispersed without any untoward incident.
Over a dozen workers complained of suffocation in the initial stages of leakage and alarmed the company administration about it, Orient Paper Mills spokesperson Ravi Sharma said.