Shivani murder case: Foster father admits to sexual abuse, booked | bhopal | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 21, 2017-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Shivani murder case: Foster father admits to sexual abuse, booked

bhopal Updated: Sep 29, 2012 14:10 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Anger and loathing erupted in Rajiv Awas Vihar colony on Friday morning when news filtered in that six-year old Shivani's died on account of merciless beating by her foster father, Rajesh Singh Sengar. But what really incensed people was the revelation through the post mortem report that Shivani had also been subjected to sexual abuse.

An angry mob descended at Sengar's house in the morning baying for his blood. However, as the police had already arrested Rajesh and his wife Baby, the house was locked. The mob broke open the lock and ransacked the entire house.

The mob then walked up to the busy Agra Mumbai road, near the Eicher Motors showroom, and staged a chakka-jam. The mob threw stones at buses that passed by, while the youth blocked the road for the smaller vehicles. They were demanding that the couple be handed over to them. Some of the more aggressive elements stopped a LPG tanker and tried to set it on fire.

The police arrived at the spot much later. Area CSP Prashant Chaube and ASP Dilip Soni reached the spot and reasoned with the mob. They said that Sengar and his wife have been booked for murder, rape, conspiracy to murder among other things and if the residents deposed before the court the couple would surely be given capital punishment.

Neighbours said that they were aware that Rajesh used to beat Shivani, but they did not have any inkling about the sexual exploitation. They said that Shivani often used to plead for mercy, but Rajesh never relented.

Meanwhile, Shivani's real father, Prem Singh Sengar reached the city from his village in Uttar Pradesh on Friday morning. Prem Singh, who is a farmer, said he had no idea that his cousin Rajendra (his maternal uncle's son) was such a monster. Prem Singh has five children of his own and he had given Shivani to Rajendra thinking that she would have a better future. Rajendra also agreed to adopt Shivani as he did not have children of his own and his wife was often ill. And as he was away for duty for most part of the day, he wanted Shivani to give some company to his wife.

Shivani was brought to Indore by Prem Singh on June 21. During this period, Shivani had talked to her mother only once, and Rajendra had complained that Shivani had a habit of wetting her bed, which was causing problems for them. It had been decided that a couple of months later, Prem Singh and Rajendra would meet in Guna or some other place and he would hand back Shivani to Prem Singh.

After the post mortem was conducted, Prem Singh said that he wanted to take Shivani's body back to Rajiv Awas Vihar and take out the funeral procession from there. However, the police refused to allow this as they feared that people might react violently if they saw the body. Shivani was taken to the Rambagh crematorium and buried there.

Police sources, who talked with the accused Rajesh, said that he has admitted sexually exploiting Shivani as he was not satisfied with his wife, who was ill most of the time. Meanwhile, child welfare committee member Rita Upamanyu talked to Prem Singh and assured all possible help to him.