World Health Day tragedy: 150 taken ill after having wedding food in Dewas
The celebrations for the World Health Day on the theme "food safety" were marred in Madhya Pradesh on Tuesday after 150 persons were taken ill after consuming dinner at a wedding reception in Dewas district.bhopal Updated: Apr 08, 2015 15:29 IST
The celebrations for the World Health Day on the theme "food safety" were marred in Madhya Pradesh on Tuesday after 150 persons were taken ill after consuming dinner at a wedding reception in Dewas district.
The incident occurred around 20 km from the district headquarter at Gangardi village in Barotha block.
Dewas chief medical and health officer Dr Ashok Kumar Dixit said nearly 150 persons fell sick on Tuesday due to food poisoning during a wedding function at village Gangardi late on Monday night.
"After we came to know about the incident, we sent two teams of health professionals to the area, one from the block level and another from the district level," he said.
Dr Dixit said the patients were given treatment and were out of danger. “The villagers had probably eaten spoiled sweets (mawa) because of which they complained of abdominal discomfort, diarrhea, vomiting, mild fever and headache,” he said.
Food safety is still a major issue in the state. On February 24, 67 people were taken ill due to food poisoning after having dinner at a wedding reception in Kharghone district.
Last year in July, the state government had to pay relief to the victims in the mid-day meal poisoning case.
A dead lizard was found in the mid-day meals in Seoni district. The state government paid Rs 60,000 to three girl students at the school at Mathdevani village in Seoni district.
In 2009, over 150 people fell ill due to food poisoning in Badwani district after eating stale food during a funeral ceremony.